When creating a film based off of a book, translation sometimes gets lost. To bookworms worldwide, perfect portrayal is key to a quality film, plus people can get pretty offended when Hollywood downgrades their paper fantasy. Some crucial translations to follow when creating a movie off a novel are below:
1. -Character development: physical and emotional characteristics alike.
-Climax: the point of highest tension is essential to keep similar to the original story.
-Relationships: how characters interact with each other could completely alter a story.
-Antagonist vs. Protagonist: the conflict usually has to remain the same to keep the same storyline.
-Resolution: if anything, the resolution is usually changed, which completely misses the point of the whole novel.
2. In my opinion, I think the ending is the most important part of a novel, and to change that in a movie translation is to change the plot completely. Upon watching My Sister's Keeper, when the ending was completely altered, me myself as a reader and observer of the film, I was very upset to say the least. Next, I see great importance in the background of a character. Even the minute details I find myself looking for in movies and other works of film. I was disappointed in the first Percy Jackson and the Olympians movie, solely due to the fact that Anabeth's stormy gray eyes, and striking blonde hair (which was highlighted with emphasis in the book) actually turned out to be brown and blue eyes. The entire plot and climax is the most flexible part of a plot line, mainly because a whole novel would take hours to interpret into film. To make things more interesting, relationships between the antagonists and protagonists is adjustable as well.
3. In Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, one scene that sticks out in my mind is the scene in which Oskar receives the last message from his father, who is trapped in the World Trade Center, shortly after the plane struck on September 11th, 2001. The passage reads, " There were four more messages from him: one at 9:12, one at 9:31, one at 9:46, and one at 10:04. I listened to them, and listened to them again, and then before I had time to figure out what to do, or even what to think or feel, the phone started ringing. It was 10:22:27. I looked at the caller ID and saw that is was him." In the novel, this section I almost overlooked. It seemed irrelevant the first time I read the book, because the main character, Oskar, stated his last experience from his father so calmly. In the film, this time is very traumatic for the boy, and he flips out on scene, and hides under his bed sobbing. I think the author wanted Oskar to seem as if he was in shock, which I now understand after re-evaluating the situation. Upon realizing Oskar's character, I believe he became numb when he registered that he would never again see his father who his world revolved around.
Good examples. Your discussion encourages me to read the books you have used as examples.
ReplyDeleteTry and make your writing feel a little more conversational.